Required Documents

Information Required for Enrollment to GPS

The documents below are required for enrollment to Growth Public Schools but not to apply. If you are interested in having your student attend GPS in 1718, submit an application by March 13, 2018.

If necessary, a lottery will be run on March 15, 2018 and enrolled families will be notified on March 16, 2018.

All enrollment info must be uploaded via your SchoolMint account or delivered directly to the GPS Front Office by May 4, 2018.

Child's Proof of Age

A copy of one of the following documents must be provided for every student to verify age eligibility. To avoid unnecessary delays, provide a copy of this document along with your enrollment documents:

  • Official birth certificate
  • Passport (U.S. and other countries)
  • Certificate of live birth
  • Military ID or Driver’s License
  • Adoption record
  • Tribal affiliation card
  • Green card
  • Custody documentation
  • Medical records
  • Authorization for GPS to request and receive documents from the schools your student has or is currently attending (for students who attended K or higher at a school other than GPS).


Not Sure How to Obtain These Documents?


As a reminder, the age eligibility is as follows:

  • Transitional Kindergarten: Any student enrolling in transitional kindergarten must be five (5) years old between September 2 and December 2 in the school year for which you are enrolling.
  • Kindergarten: Any student enrolling in kindergarten must be five (5) years old on or before September 1 in the school year for which you are enrolling.
  • First Grade: Any student enrolling in first grade must be six (6) years old on or before September 1 in the school year for which you are enrolling.

Proof of Residence

There are many verifiable forms of documentation, which are detailed below:

Not Sure What is Accepted as Proof?

  • A residential utility bill
    Acceptable Documents Include: gas, electric, water, cable, home phone, internet, or trash bill from the last 60 days, in the resident’s name and service address.
  • Mortgage statement or current annual lease agreement
  • Property tax statement
  • Current voter registration card
  • Payroll stub
  • Letter from a government agency

Proof of Immunization

California law requires each child to have a health examination report for school entry. This report consists of a health examination and an up-to-date immunization record. The Report of Health Examination for School Entry must be completed by a health examiner. This form may require both the parent/guardian and health care provider signature.

When Do I Need to Provide My Immunization Records?

Immunization records must be presented to GPS by Friday, May 4, 2018.

Not Sure What Immunizations Are Required?

For more details, including information regarding what immunizations/shots your student needs, please refer to the Shots for Schools website, and for a complete list of immunization requirements, please see the Health and Safety Code Section 120325–120380.

The California Immunization Record (sometimes called the “yellow card”)

The California Immunization Record (sometimes called the “yellow card”) helps you keep track of what shots your child has received and when. Many California medical offices and clinics can now update your child’s yellow card automatically using an electronic immunization registry, known as the California immunization registry.

Where Can I Get Immunizations for My Student?

If your child is unable to get the school health check-up, call the Child Health and Disability Prevention (CHDP) Program in your local health department. If you do not want your child to have a health check-up, you may sign the waiver form. However, please note that signing the waiver does not excuse your child from receiving the immunizations required by California law for children attending public school.

Immunizations can be obtained from doctor’s offices, clinics, or hospitals. Pediatricians and family doctors or their nurses or medical assistants can give your student the shots they need to meet the requirements for school enrollment. In addition, some large chain pharmacies offer immunizations for older children and adults.
Print the Child Immunization Checklist (en Español) to help keep track of the vaccines your child needs to be protected.

What if I Need Assistance Paying for Vaccines?

By law, California managed-care organizations (such as Kaiser Permanente and Blue Cross) must cover recommended immunizations for children. Your health plan may charge a co-payment for the shot visit. Check with your health plan or your doctor’s office about any fees.

If you don’t have health insurance, you may be able to get free immunizations through one of these programs:

  • Healthy Families. Children enrolled in California’s Healthy Families plan receive free immunizations with no copayment.
  • Medi-Cal. Medi-Cal covers preventive care services for eligible low-income children and adults. Contact your local County Social Services for more information.
  • Vaccines for Children. Many private-practice California doctors participate in the Vaccines for Children (VFC) program, which gives free vaccine to eligible children up to age 18. Ask your child’s doctor if his or her office offers VFC shots.
  • CHDP. Children eligible for California’s Child Health and Disability Prevention (CHDP) program may also be eligible for free or low-cost shots.

Child's Proof of Health Examination

According to the California Department of Education, California state law requires that each student/child’s family provide, within 90 days of entrance into the first grade, a certificate documenting that the child has received a health checkup within the previous 18 months. Please complete the form below to fulfill this state requirement.

What If I Can’t Afford a Health Examination for My Student?

Some children may be eligible for a state-paid examination. Referrals to doctors and clinics are provided on request by the Child Health and Disability Prevention (CHDP) program coordinator of the local health department. Children through age 18 may receive a free checkup funded by CHDP if their families meet specific income guidelines. Most county health departments have a CHDP coordinator who can advise parents regarding eligibility.

To find out more about Child Health and Disability Prevention (CHDP) services or the application process, please contact your county CHDP office, which can be found on the “County Offices” page of the California Department of Health Care Services website. For more information on the CHDP, including a program overview and health check-up information, please view the CHDP Description of Services brochure.

Oral Health Exam

The Oral Health Exam is only for Students Entering Kindergarten and/or Attending Public School for the First time

To make sure your child is ready for school, California law requires that your child have a dental checkup by May 31 of his or her first school year. Dental evaluations that have happened within the 12 months before your child enters school also meet this requirement.

Please take the required form with you when your child has his/her checkup. If you cannot get a dental checkup for your child, you can apply for your child to be excused from the requirement by filling out the bottom portion of the form and marking the reasons your child could not get the checkup.

Oral Health Exam for School Entry FAQ

What should I do when I receive the notice of this oral health requirement from my child’s school? If you have a dentist, and your child has not received an exam within the last 12 months, call and schedule an appointment for an examination. If your child has seen the dentist within the last year, call your dentist’s office and ask how they are handling this requirement and what you must do for the dentist to complete the required form based on your child’s last regular exam. They may ask you to mail or fax the required form to them. They may tell you they have extra copies and will complete it and send it to you.

Remember that you have until May 31 to return the required form to your child’s school. Your dentist’s office may be handling this request for many patients and may need to space out scheduling appointments for these exams and completing the paperwork, so as not to overwhelm their office all at one time.

If you do not have a dentist, now is the perfect time to find one! The California Dental Association can assist you in finding a dentist. If your child has Medi-Cal/Denti-Cal insurance, you can get help finding a dentist who takes this insurance by calling 800.322.6384 or visiting the Denti-Cal website. Additionally, you can search for a community clinic in your area.

My child does not have any form of dental insurance and I don’t think I can afford a dental exam for my child. What should I do? Many children who are not covered by a commercial insurance plan may be eligible for health benefits through the Medi-Cal program. Medi-Cal coverage automatically includes dental care. To find out if your child can enroll in Medi-Cal (Denti-Cal), contact your local social service agency. Your school may also be able to refer you to a local resource to help you enroll your child in the Medi-Cal (Denti-Cal) program.

My child does not qualify for either Medi-Cal (Denti-Cal), what do I do? Remember, this requirement is meant to help your child get the dental care he or she needs to be healthy and ready for school. It is a great opportunity to learn about your child’s dental health. Because many dentists recognize the importance of this first step, they may be willing to do a basic evaluation, called a dental screening, for your child free of charge, as a public service. Your child’s school, your local health department or your local dental society may be able to help you find a dentist who has agreed to complete dental screenings free of charge. You may also be able to get a dental checkup for your child at low, or no-cost through a local community clinic.

Other Documents for Special Circumstances

You may need to provide additional documentation if any of the following circumstances apply:

  • Custody order: If your legal guardianship is determined by a court order, please submit a copy of the order.

Special Education Documentation: If your student has had an Individualized Education Program (IEP) within the past three years, please submit the following documents:

  • IEP Documentation: Please submit a copy of the most recent IEP from within the last year.
  • Supporting Evaluation Documentation: Please submit a copy of the most recent Educational/Psychological Assessment from within the last three years.

Additional Special Education Documentation:

  • IEP Exit Documentation: If your student has been formally exited from special education services, please submit a copy of the formal exit documentation.
  • 504 Plan: If your student has had a 504 Plan within the past three years, please submit a copy of this document.

Problems or Questions?

If you have any concerns or questions, our enrollment team is here to help. Please call us at 916.394.5007.

Growth Public Schools admits students and conducts all educational programs, activities, and employment practices without discrimination on the basis of sex, race, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, creed, sexual orientation, disability, or any other legally protected classification.